Welcoming a new baby can be an exciting and overwhelming experience, especially if you are on a tight budget. However, there are some essential items you’ll need to ensure your baby is comfortable and safe. Here are eight newborn essentials that won’t break the bank.
- Diapers – You’ll go through quite a few diapers in a day, so make sure you have plenty on hand. You can save money by buying generic or store-brand diapers, and consider cloth diapers as well.
- Baby Wipes – To keep your baby clean and fresh, baby wipes are a must-have. You can buy in bulk sizes or opt for store-brand wipes, which are often more affordable.
- Baby blankets – Although it’s tempting to splurge on adorable, high-end baby blankets, remember that they will get dirty quickly. Opt for soft and inexpensive receiving blankets that can be thrown in the wash.
- Clothes – Your newborn will quickly outgrow their clothes, so don’t overspend on outfits. Look for onesies, sleepers, and other basic clothing items in multipacks, which can be more cost-effective.
- Burp cloths – Spit-up happens, so make sure you have plenty of burp cloths on hand. You can save money by making your own from old towels or cloth diapers.
- Infant car seat – A car seat is one of the most important purchases you’ll make for your baby’s safety. Look for a basic infant car seat that meets safety standards, and consider buying it used to save money.
- Baby carrier – Carrying your baby in a carrier can be a great way to bond with them while keeping your hands free. You can find affordable carriers secondhand or look for a basic, budget-friendly option.
- Nursing or feeding supplies – If you plan to breastfeed, a nursing pillow and nursing pads are a must-have. If you’re formula feeding, make sure you have enough bottles, nipples, and formula on hand. Remember, it’s okay to ask for help from family or friends who may have gently used baby items they no longer need. And don’t forget that your baby’s health and safety should always be your top priority.
Need help getting essentials for your baby? Sign up for one of our classes to receive gift cards and more!